HOW TO KEEP FIT WHILE TRAVELLING
This year is the year of the mini-break. Well at least in our little family’s world. At the beginning of 2018 when we were talking about what we wanted to do in the year ahead a few of the big things came up – move and maybe buy house etc. But, then we took a step back and decided they could wait and that experiencing more together was most important and travel was key to that. Travel is at our fingertips, we can jump in a car and go anywhere and it doesn’t have to be far, just something new.
And whilst travelling is an awesome break from routine, there are some things that nice to keep in check like our fitness! So we picked the brains of former personal trainer to David Beckham and author of newly released ‘The 7-day Quickie’, Tegan Haining, on her top tips to keep fit whilst travelling or on holiday…
“If we are usually attending yoga or gym classes it can be hard to replicate these programs on our own. These are some of my tips for creating your own ways of moving the body when you’re away from your instructor.
- Choose your bodypart – maybe you want to work glutes today, or abs or arms. Once you have decided pick 5 movements which work this area and perform each movement for 40 seconds with a 20 second rest in between. If you repeat this three times you have a 15 minute targeted workout for your chosen area.
- Choose your style – maybe you want to work the whole body each day – but just change up the style to make it more varied. One day choose Cardio exercise like skipping or stair walking, another day choose strength exercises like lunges, push ups and pulls.
- Go on an adventure – check out the local area via walking, cycling or hiking.
- Go swimming – are you near the ocean or a pool? If you don’t feel like doing laps, even just treading water and doing some ab exercises (try sitting in a V shape with your toes up out of the water) for a few minutes can be super challenging!
- Practice your favorite at-home-workout – This is where you could use the the 7 Day Quickie – which includes easy at home workouts to follow as well as stretching to keep your body balanced while you’re away.
- Set a family challenge – do you like working out together as a family? Perhaps you have holiday friends who might want to get involved in a friendly game of tennis or backyard cricket.
- Choose an active escape – there are so many holidays now which are actually designed around working out. You could choose functional style training boot camps, yoga retreats or even cycling tours. Always do your homework and make sure you know what you’re signing up for.
Sometimes though you might just want to relax and lie by the pool – and there is nothing wrong with that either. Be kind to yourself, listen to your body and if sleep is what it needs, then that’s awesome too!”
The 7 Day Quickie by Tegan Haining, published by Penguin Random House Australia on 27 November 2017, RRP $29.99