5 ways to long weekend digital detox
The long weekend is almost upon us and I think it’s time to embrace these mini-breaks as opportunities to truly switch off. Not just from work, but from digital, email and social media too.
Consider these 5 ways to move away from your mails, apps and socials.
- Delete the apps that tempt you : It’s the easiest and most effective solution to get social media or email temptation right away from your thumb. You can always reload them later, they stay in the cloud! I did this for the first fortnight of January and oh my was it refreshing and heart opening. I didn’t think about work, or things I could be doing, I didn’t look into anyone else’s lives and wonder, I was present in the moment that was surrounding me. Mine were instagram, facebook, emails, even spotify – I just listened to the good ole radio because it took me away from my phone and for part of my Jan switch off time, I legit listened to CDS!
- Team up walks, teas, yoga, brunch with friends : because you know what should be happening when we do these? Chats, activity, eating… Face to face. There is no need to get phones out and compare things or to be texting other people, or commenting or emailing. You can just ‘be’ with the person right next to you and enjoy their juicy company.
- Leave your phone in your bag or at home : I can 100% own this, I take my phone everywhere, you know ‘just in case’. I definitely have some just in cases being a mum, but I probably don’t need it for half of those times I think I do. It can absolutely be left behind or at the very least out of sight whilst you 100% focus on enjoying what is happening in real world rather than digital world. You know the other great thing when your phone isn’t in your hand and you’re out and about walking etc? You engage with people, you look up at the sky, you breathe deeper, and you genuinely find yourself smiling more.
- Buy a juicy book and your favourite herbal tea : because honestly, buggar emails and socials when you dive into a good book with a great cup of tea there is nothing else that matters! Well kinda, but it is very much like you’re in your own little cocoon. Instead of feeling down that your skills, food porn or abs aren’t as fab as the random stranger you’re comparing yourself to on your screen, you’re investing your brain – intellect and creativity – into something that will help you grow. I’ve done a number of book reviews on the blog but definitely check out my piece on Empowering Books to give you some ideas if you haven’t a good book with you for this long weekend.
- Switch off devices completely : Well there’s a no brainer? Daunting isn’t it when you first think about it? Then you do it aaaaaaand revelation! Battery saved on phone, battery charged up in body because you aren’t feeling the pressure to do, go, be everywhere attending to stuff all weekend! You can just ‘be’ with the calm and the space around you.
Try at least one of these folks, I think in a world of being so switched on it is so worth switching off so you can truly recharge.