My top tips on The Today Show for a Spring clean of your diet
SPOILER ALERT : it does not involved crash / fad / trendy diets!!!!! Ever. It DOES however involve understanding your food choices better and learning to move through habits which have sat with you a while and don’t serve you or your health.
So, when asked “what do people do when they want to lose weight in the lead up to summer?” I am straight to the point and that is:
- Don’t be jumping on the latest fad diet. This will only produce a short term change but potentially have longer term affects on your relationship with food and your body because ultimately with fad diets the weight comes back on anyway.
- Rather than a fad diet for weight loss, use this time – spring – to look at and reset habits with your health which will be more sustainable for weight loss and longer lasting – THAT’S the best result.
- You can achieve weight loss and keep it off long term by simple changes (not fad/excessive/restrictive ones!) which reinforce better habits in your diet such as :
- reducing alcohol intake
- looking at the refined and processed foods in your diet, and swapping those out for incredibly nourishing and delicious whole foods – fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, legumes and wholegrains
- understanding when you might be using food as a support whether it be emotional or reward based eating – so for example, I’ve worked this hard or I’ve been so healthy, therefore I “deserve” this chocolate bar. So aiming to reframe the mindset you have with food which is often what causes a lot of people to gain weight and then struggle to shift it.