Absolutely epic plant based burgers
These burgers will leave any misconception you had about plant based burgers for dead. They are so insanely delicious and literally bursting with nutrients from peas, chickpeas, brown rice, almond meal, herbs and flax. Make super juicy by adding grilled mushrooms, mustard, avo smash, tomatoes, herbs and onion – caramelised or pickled all go well in my books!
ABSOLUTELY EPIC PLANT BASED BURGERS
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 cup (200g) frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 cup (200g) cooked chickpeas or tinned, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (70g) cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup (48g) almond meal
- 1/4 cup (60g) caramelised onion
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (or your herb of choice)
1. Start by making the flax egg. Combine ground flaxseed with 2.5 tablespoons water in a small bowl, mix and set aside.
2. In a food processor combine defrosted peas, chickpeas, brown rice, almond meal, caramelised onion and oil and pulse to chop a few times. Add flax egg and blitz briefly so the mixture comes together but you can still see small pieces of peas and chickpeas.
3. Shape into 4 even sized burgers approximately 10cm in diameter, pop on a plate, cover and set in the fridge for 20 minutes.
4. Heat the oven to 180°C and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper. Place burgers on baking tray, spray lightly with extra virgin olive oil and bake in oven for 40 minutes.
5. Team with your favourite burger bun (bread or lettuce) and choice of juicy burger extras – grilled field mushrooms, pickles, hummus, mustard, beetroot, tomato, sprouts, onion, kraut and serve with sweet potato wedges for extra delicious trimmings.